Nickelodeon

We all know the famous saying "Nick, Nick, Nick, Ni, Nick, Nick, Nick, Nickelodeoooonn," and we all love the sound of that theme song. Throughout our childhood we always watched Nickelodeon or Disney Channel. But the one downfall about all cable television, are the ads. After barely watching a minute of the show we are enjoying, commercials always come on for what seems like forever. As child, I would watch TV so much, but now, like everyone else, I mainly watch Netflix and YouTube. When I was a little girl, I would watch SpongeBob, Zoey 101, Drake and Josh and so many more shows on Nickelodeon, but when the commercials came on I was never really upset. The commercials on Nickelodeon were never boring to me. They would have commercials of different shows to watch and what excited me the most, ads for toys. I loved watching all the different Lego and Barbie ads and I think that was the purpose. 
Image result for nickelodeon
These different toy advertisers purposely would draw attention to these products on Nickelodeon because they knew the viewers. These advertisers were aware that children were the people who mainly watch this channel, which is why they chose to advertise their products there. We never see toy commercials on sports channels or ABC or HBO and that is because they are aware of their audience. They choose to advertise different shows on this channel or products that a more mature audience would be more likely to buy. Being aware of a product's audience is important in advertising because they need to fit the needs of those specific viewers. In order to make something more appealing to a specific group you need to know what they like; their aesthetics, what they are in to, who they are following and are aware of and so much more. I believe that being conscious of who the audience is the most important aspect of advertising because if you are not up to their standards they will not be interested. 
Related image

Comments

  1. I’m the same I actually use to like some of the commercials they put on. The new movies were my favorite and they alway caught my attention. The thing about this advertising is after a while you get really annoyed with it and eventually zone it out completely. This advertising still works though because around the time that you got to that point you were moving on to older shows and you got new commercials. Those started to annoy me too so I rarely watch TV now and have moved to Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about Nickelodeon and Disney I felt ads were sometimes fun and almost interactive. Like the pillow pet song that would always come on I knew every line to that and would sing along. I feel when we are younger we don't see the ads for what they are and they are way more enjoyable to us as adolescents. I think as we grow older us seeing those ads for them trying to take advantage of us makes us start to be fed up and switch to places where they hide ads in other ways.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment