Crop Tops ;)

In my Critical Thinking class, we recently watched a documentary called "Merchants of Cool." In this movie we learned about the topic of midriffs. They talked about how women show off their stomach for attention. This causes women to be sexualized as a female. They spoke and said that the women, when this film was made, who was the main person to show their midriff was Britney Spears.
Image result for britney spears crop top
In today's society there is a trend of crop tops. Many teenage girls, myself included, where tops that have been cut or manufactured to show off ones stomach. I would not say that there is specifically one person in today's time who does this the most, because everyone is doing it. Crop tops are seen constantly on celebrities especially on young models. Cropped types of clothing are even seen on red carpets, they are basically everywhere. Almost every clothing brand designed for younger buyers have some sort of crop top. I think that almost every shirt I wear on a normal basis, is cropped. I do not think the majority of girls wear these types of shirts to show off their stomach, although some might. I believe we wear these shirts because they are in style.   In our society, people tend to adapt to the trends and styles that are currently in use. Crop tops are one of these things. I do think that some girls wear crop tops so that they can be sexualized as a women and attract others attention, but I do not think that is the case for everyone. I believe women do wear certain things to attract attention to themselves and I just do not believe that should be the case. Women should not have to show off their bodies in order to be noticed. And crop tops are one of the problems. But the main issue is, I do not think eliminating certain clothes will stop sexualization. I think that our society's mindset needs to be altered in order for us to be able to accomplish this goal.
Image result for celebrities in crop top

Comments